Friday, January 13, 2006

At Home

January 13, 2006
Well, I went to my doctor for a follow-up exam yesterday morning. There, she decided to check my cervix and take samples for the GBS (Group B Streptococcus) test. The first thing my doctor did was take my blood pressure...very high: 140/100! My cervix was dilated 0.5 cm (not a big deal) and the baby's head is down and low in my pelvis...also very good. The swelling in my feet had gone down from the previous appointment, but because of my high blood pressure, my doctor told me she didn't want me to go back to work. She said that she wanted me to stay home and rest with my feet up. I can get up and walk around to make myeslf food, go to the bathroom, shower, etc., and if I need to go to the grocery store then Mike has to take me and it has to be a quick trip. Otherwise, I can't exercise, be on my feet for long periods of time, or clean the house. So, here I am parked on the couch :)
I went to work after my appointment yesterday, to let everyone know that I would have to go home, and to attend the baby shower my co-workers threw for me :) It's really nice to work in an environment that realizes the importance of families! Everyone at work has been so supportive, and the shower was the icing on the cake! I am planning to do some work from home, and go into work once a week to meet with my supervisor and turn in work.
One thing that I was talking to someone at work about that I wasn't really prepared for is how things can drastically change in the last month of pregnancy. I don't know if it was because my blood pressure was high, but at my last appointment my doctor was very serious and firm (not at all with her usual relaxed and laid-back attitude). She didn't come across as worried, but the fact that she told me not to return to work (and had the lab draw blood for testing) made ME start worrying. I guess this is a critical time period in pregnancy...the baby is taking more of a toll on your body than before, and your body isn't working as efficiently.
Anyway, I have another appointment on Monday morning. They're going to perform an ultrasound to check the true position of the baby and also do the non-stress test. Mike wasn't able to come with me to my last appointment (we both thought it would be a quick follow-up, and not a big deal since my swelling had gone down). He was upset that he didn't end up coming with me, but I think it was the first one he's missed during my entire pregnancy. He'll be able to come to my Monday appointment :)

5 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there baby, you're doing an amazing job. Tyler and I are so lucky to have you. Keep up the great work!

Love ya,

Mike

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Corinne said...

Wow... seems like everyone's getting bedrest!!! Glad to hear that you're doing okay... don't worry, we're almost there! And sounds like you have a great, GREAT hubby to take care of you. :) Keep us posted on what's going on!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Avorie said...

Welcome to the bedrest club! I hope things start going better and everything is great on Monday. Have a nice, restful weekend!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Reesh said...

Yep, welcome to the club! I also feel like things have really changed in the last month of pregnancy. I was just commenting about how easy and great everything was going and then WHAM everything changed and we were really thrown by it. I think I have learned to keep an open mind about everything in pregnancy, but it's really hard sometimes to not just picture the ideal way you'd like for things to always be. Anyways, good luck on the Ultrasound, I too am waiting for my ultrasound on Tuesday - hopefully we'll both be just fine!

Cheers,
Reesh

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger suzspeaks said...

That is a great picture!! Hang in there - get yourself some distractions! Reading material, Movies, etc... Anything to get your mind off of bedrest! I was in bed for about two weeks, before my baby was born, so I know too, what it is like. Hang in there!! In a few months, you'll be wishing for bedrest!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home