Monday, January 16, 2006

Strict Bedrest

January 16, 2006

Well, I had another doctor's appointment this morning. They did another ultrasound and took some of our baby's measurements. They estimate that he's 6 pounds 9 ounces already! He's also DEFINITELY head-down, but he's facing out (towards my bellybutton). After the ultrasound, they set me up for a non-stress test (NST). Normally, they want to see 3 movements within 30 minutes, and our little guy moved 8 or 9 times, so our doctor was very pleased with that! After the NST, our doctor checked my blood pressure and cervix. My BP was still high (146/100) and my cervix was still closed. My blood tests from my last appointment came out normal, but I did have elevated levels of uric acid in my blood (normal levels are 3-4 mg/dL, and mine was 6.7 mg/dL).
My doctor said that I don't have pre-eclampsia, but she thinks that if I carry the baby to 40 weeks, I could eventually develop pre-eclampsia. So, she put me on strict bedrest (only getting up to shower, go to the bathroom, or get a snack...no cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc.) for the next week and she wants to induce me on Wednsday, January 25th! However, even though all my urine tests have not detected any protein, my doctor thinks that a 24-hour urine test WILL show that I have protein in my urine. She gave me a jug that I have to collect all my urine in over a 24-hour period (beginning this Wednesday morning and ending Thursday morning, right before my next appointment). I will be 37 weeks along on Tuesday, the 24th, and she wants me to check in the hospital that night, when they will apply some cream to my cervix that should help with dilation. Now, if they do detect protein in my urine, I don't know what's going to happen. I suspect that they'll put me on hospital bedrest until I'm 37 weeks...which will suck :( I can handle the bedrest at home, but in the hospital will be so boring! And Mike is only allowed 2 weeks off of work, so I don't want him to waste any of those days just keeping me company in the hospital.
Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's no protein in my urine...mmm...can't wait to start that!

4 Comments:

At 1:09 AM, Blogger Reesh said...

Holy shit girl! It's amazing how pregnancy can take a turn in a totally different direction than where you thought you were heading. It must be strange to absolutely KNOW FOR SURE that you will meet your baby on the 25th. I am very jealous cause this waiting game is pretty crazy! Good luck with the urine test, I'm crossing my fingers for you...

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Corinne said...

Wow... that's absolutely crazy. Hope all goes well, and hey! You get to see your baby soon!!! I'm so jealous! We have an appt. on Wednesday to see if the baby dropped and to check my cervix out to see if any dialation is happening. Good luck w/ the urine test... and keep us posted!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Avorie said...

Wow! How exciting!!! This is really happening now!

We want frequent updates!!

Good luck with the urin test and strict bedrest!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Anth said...

Here's to meeting your baby on the 25th! Yay!
And crossing our fingers for no hospital bedrest!
Have fun ah, saving your urine in a big jug. Ha ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home