Friday, September 02, 2005

Week 17

September 2, 2005 - Into Week 17

Over 4 months pregnant, and I think it's finally starting to become more real to me. The baby should be anywhere between 4.5 and 6 inches long and weigh 3.5 - 4 ounces. Toenails are formed, limbs are more developed, and hair is beginning to grow! At my 16-week check-up the other day, Mike and I begged our doctor to perform an ultrasound so we could see what the sex of the baby is. She is so cool and awesome, so she snuck us in and had a look. I'm not going to say what we think it is because it wasn't totally clear, but hopefully at my 20-week check-up, it will be more clear and we can start telling people if they want to know. Anyway, I was completely amazed when we saw the baby on the screen...we could see all the bones (skull, ribs, femur, pelvis, etc.) it is just an indescribable feeling! I'm thinking, "Keep growing strong, little baby!" and Mike and I love this baby so much now, I can't imagine loving it any more, but I know we will!

Other pregnancy-related issues for the women out there who want to know what to expect are constant runny noses, the never-ending feeling that you have to go to the bathroom (only to get there and have barely anything come out!), sudden hunger pangs, and also sudden emotional changes. The flooding of the New Orleans vicinity after Hurricane Katrina has really affected me emotionally. Especially hearing audio clips or seeing videos of the survivors talking about how they lost loved ones...I was taking a shower the other day and heard a man talking about how he lost his wife during the flooding, and I completely broke down and started sobbing in the shower. I think I tried to put myself in his shoes and thought about how devastated I would be if I lost Mike or our sweet little baby :( and now I'm about to start crying again, so I'd better go on to another topic...

Our house is so NOT ready for the baby! Currently, the baby's room is full of boxes and tools that need to be put either in the attic or in the shed. The room needs to be painted, and we have to start buying furniture and gear. It's overwhelming, all the things you "need" for a baby! I know my parents did just fine without a majority of the things they have today, but if it will make life easier...bring it on! :) There are also other things we still need to do with the house in general...since we know that we'll probably be receiving many visitors after the baby's arrival!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home